All About Medical Press News

Should I Seek Care From A Gastroenterologist Or Colorectal Surgeon?

Oct 25

Distinguishing Features Of A Colorectal Surgeon And A Gastroenterologist

What sets a colorectal surgeon apart from a gastroenterologist? Many patients ask this because they don't know what area of medicine would be ideal for them. Although there is considerable overlap between these fields of study, there are also significant differences in the problems they address and the methods they use to educate their practitioners. Because of this concern, we've included some additional details to aid in selecting the appropriate medical specialist.

Surgeons that specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions affecting the colon, rectum, and anus are known as Colorectal Surgeons or Proctologists. Surgeons that focus on the colon and rectal areas are called "colon and rectal surgeons." Surgeons who specialize in the gastrointestinal tract do routine colonoscopies, test for cancer, and operate on patients who have been diagnosed with a benign or malignant ailment.

A colorectal surgeon will assess, diagnose, and treat the following disorders and symptoms:

  • Abscess/Fistula of the Anus
  • Stomach Malignancy
  • Break in the Bone of the Anus
  • The Ache in My Ans
  • Internal Warts
  • Constipation and Urinary Incontinence
  • Colon Cancer
  • Constipation
  • Crohn's Illness
  • Disease of the Diverticula
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Irritable Colonic Distress
  • Insufficiency of the Pelvic Floor
  • Contagious Disease of the Pilonidal Nerve
  • Itchy rectal prolapse
  • Rectocele
  • Colitis Ulcerative

A gastroenterologist, such as CRSSNY, is a physician with both an MD and fellowship training in gastrointestinal. However, gastroenterologists do not engage in surgical procedures. A gastroenterologist is a medical professional who focuses on treating problems in the digestive system. Gastroenterologists are medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal disorders. These disorders can affect any part of the digestive tract, including the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine (colon), or biliary system (e.g., liver, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts).